20.6.13

The Night Circus - A Fan Review (#TeamMarco!)

The Circus arrives without warning....

Last Saturday, I went checking what’s new in bookstore at mall. And, tadaaaaa! I found ‘The Night Circus’ at new books section, already translated into Bahasa Indonesia! Yayness! I was so exciting and yet worrying at the same time; exciting because finally, more people will read the book, and worrying, will the translated version be as magnificent as the original?

The Night Circus - Indonesian version.
Why did they choose red instead of black as in the original book? :|

Because the best thing about this book is, its’ writing style. Erin Morgenstern, the writer, obviously did a marvelous job. She described the whole parts – the characters’ traits, the fanciness of the circus’ attractions, the whimsical atmosphere – they all stirred my imagination, in a way that the readers could actually envision the circus, even more, sometimes I feel like I’m transported to the circus itself.

But, when reading this book,we have to be patience -_-. The book moves pretty slowly. The plot strings start out loosely and a bit confusing, because you think there’s no connection between some characters. The ‘jumping-to-past-then forward-back to past’ time settings also made me curiously wondered, ‘what the hell is going on’? But after some chapters, the strings have turned into complicated rope, and you realize that can not stop. You can’t complain. And you won’t go to see the end no matter how impatient reader you are. The writers had me guessing and wondering throughout the whole chapters until I didn't realized, I had reached the last chapter and there’s only about fifty pages left.

And once you get to the end, you’ll soon realize that it is the only not-too-good thing about this book. I won’t say it has a bad ending, but it’s just too accommodating to all parties. After all the awesomeness on previous 200 pages, the end was just unpredictably... well, I think it’s better if it doesn't have to end.

I don’t really into fancy writings and flowery words, but this book’s wordplay sounds so beautiful. This book put gorgeous prose in the beginning of some chapters, and you don’t know what they are until you read a few first chapters and soon realize that they are the descriptions of the circus’ attractions. Even better, after you finish the book, you’ll realize that they’re the descriptions of the circus’ today, the things you’d see if you go to the circus at this year 2000 circa, after all the ‘competition’ between Celia and Marco.

Hell yeah, I enjoy this book. If there’s people who’s proud to be twi-hard, then I’m a proud reveurs. I’ll wear a black with a touch of red when I watch this book. And since it has translated to some languages, chances to see it on big screen are bigger, right? I opened IMDB at it said, The Night Circus The Movie is ‘currently on progress’ and will hit the cinema on 2015. Woohooo!

I wish, there will be no R-Patz and K-Stew on the cast. Holy God, please, don’t put them as Marco and Celia please. I jumped into random fans forum discussions and most of them likely wish Andrew Garfield could play as Marco. Though I can vividly imagine Andrew Garfield wears coat and bowler hat (Marco daily costume) but I think, Andrew can’t portray the darkside of Marco. Jim Sturgess or Joseph Gordon Levitt will be better choice, although they’re not that handsome. And for Celia, I can only think of Carey Mulligan. Whoever the cast is, I hope they can really act and won’t ruin this amazing story.

You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des Reves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus....
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment